Friday, October 15, 2010

My Evil Ex-Roommate: Nicki Minaj

This should be a short post considering Nicki and I did not spend much time together - this was no accident, I assure you. Her name spawns from her obsession with the female rap star Nicki Minaj. My roommate loved her so much that she actually attempted to cut her hair exactly like Nicki did. It was pretty awful and ended up looking like a terrible rendition mullet wig.



Nicki was my second roommate assignment. My first assignment bailed on me before we even had the chance to meet, then lied about it. I was angry at first, but then the stories started to roll in. Within the first month of class she apparently uploaded a video of herself jacking a guy off into a cup and drinking his jizz. I think the swap might have been for the best.

I sent Nicki an e-mail and while waiting for a response, I decided to try my hand at Facebook stalking. What I found wasn't promising. Her favorite book series was Twilight and her favorite television show was MTV's 16 and Pregnant. She appeared to be an overbearing Christian while I was a struggling agnostic on the best of days. She replaced the letter "s" at the end of words with the letter "z" because it made her feel more Hispanic. She also replaced random letters of sentences with numbers.

I was dealing with a class A idiot.Why did I expect anything more out of life?

Your roommate is your first friend when you go to college when you don't know anyone else. We really tried to get along, but we were quickly discovering that we had absolutely nothing in common - no bands, no books, no movies, not even any classes. We found our own friends and went our separate ways shortly after the first week. Luckily, her work schedule and my involvement in so many clubs kept us out of the room and away from each other so we didn't have to fight.

Except, fighting wasn't something either of us was really good at. Despite the image I might portray here, I'm very non-confrontational. I will do anything to avoid an argument. Nicki was, apparently, very similar. No matter how many problems the two of us had with each other, we never discussed them. Ever. It was some sort of unspoken rule. I only found out she hated something I did when she bitched to the rest of the hall. Occasionally they were kind enough to convey her messages to me.

The one thing she did tell me to my face was that Tyler wasn't allowed to spend the night or even visit for extended periods because she was so afraid he might hit on her. Really? That's the best you could come up with? I guess I see where she was coming from in hindsight, but it's not really fair to limit who your roommate can have spend the night when you routinely invite guys to spend the night with you. I would often walk in to find a naked guy cuddling with her. That really not what I need to see on my way to Chemistry class.

She also had plenty of annoying habits. She would skype all hours of the day. Because she didn't have class until late in the afternoon, she had no problems with walking in with a group of friends at 3 am with friends, talking very loudly when I needed to be up at 6 am the next day. Beyond this, she also had an annoying habit of talking about me in Spanish while I was in the room. Little did she know, I had a couple friends who were Mexican. I invited them in from time to time just to hear what she had to say.

These were the mundane confrontations. There were others that were much worse. For example, there was the time when she found a pair of panties that fell off my bed and onto her dresser. Rather than leave them and mention that I needed to move them, she threw them out into the hallway and invited everyone to come have a look. I'm not really sure what she thought she was accomplishing here. There was also the time when she came in drunk, which is a fantastic story if I do say so myself.

In the end, she moved off to California and decided to live at home the following year. You know, I'm finding it kind of funny how most people I hate seem to move there.

No comments:

Post a Comment